Tonight was all Mike. I can only take credit for the corn salsa. From the moment I got home tonight I was in a hurry (thanks to this silly snow). I was hoping to make a class at the gym so I turned Mike loose on dinner. I had come across this one in an Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine and asked Mike if he would be interested. I think he was ready for something else besides beef tacos because he was all for trying it. Getting him to agree to eat chicken over beef is like getting it to stop snowing in April. Nearly impossible. He took care of all the chicken preparation and did a mighty fine job.
Pulled chicken tacos (adapted from Rachael Ray’s recipe)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and chopped (I did tomatoes on the side because Mike isn’t a fan)
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (Also did these on the side because Mike doesn’t love beans)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 yellow corn taco shells, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
It’s pretty simple.
Cook chicken, mix with seasoning, cilantro and lime juice and simmer on the stove top. Mike added a little taco seasoning that I had picked in Seattle in March. Prepare toppings, grade cheese, chop scallions, chop black olives (a must have in our house for taco night).
I also made knockoff Chipotle corn salsa. Mix together corn, cilantro, jalapeno, chopped red onion, lime juice and salt and let the flavors come together for about 10 minutes. Perfect addition to any taco.
Here’s to hoping it doesn’t take me 2 hours to get to work tomorrow.